Monday, September 01, 2014

Labor Day.

It is Labor Day in the United States of America, a day set aside to honor the American working man and woman, a day of rest for them, us, me. Not me, not this Labor Day, but I am a "professional," I work for myself. Myself can be a demanding employer but I make my own hours, come and go largely as I please. No boss. My "professional office" is closed today. My two employees and my one business partner don't work today. Government employees have the day off. Good, that is good, that is as it should be.

A lot of other "real" working men and women, those who work for private employees don't have the day off. The business of America is business, always has been. When I go to get something to eat later I will be flabbergasted if my latin cafe is closed. The dozen or so waitresses there have to work today, punch the timeclock, sign in, or whatever they have to do but they will have to work. The convenience stores, the supermarkets are open today, their employees have to labor on Labor Day.

There is no Google doodle today in honor of the American working man and woman; he and she are, no doubt, laboring in Mountain View this Labor Day. There is no "Labor" section of any major daily newspaper anywhere in America, no "Workers" or "Employees" section, no regular segment on television or radio news, yet in all of those you will find separate sections or segments devoted to "Business," "Markets," "Money." The working men and women of America work today and everyday in the pursuit of happiness, their bosses.