Sunday, October 26, 2014

I picked an old book off my bookshelf; I would have gotten the book in 1977 or 1978. I was leafing through the book and there was what appeared to be a bookmark. It was a small letter, folded. Had no idea what it was. I took the small letter out and unfolded it and saw the blue of my father's business letterhead at top.  I was astonished. The letter was undated and typewritten and I read:

Ben,

When you get down, pray a little to God. It really does help.

-Dad

Dad was a good man. I have no memory of this letter, no idea why I was "down" in 1977-78, the happiest year of my life, but I must have been home on break from graduate school, something obviously was troubling me and when I left my father would have gone back to work and typed out that note at the office and mailed it to me. My dad was a good man.