Saturday, November 22, 2014

Lavrov's October 20, 2014 Speech. V

"The commitment of nations to preserve and strengthen their respective cultures, religions and civilisational identities was one way of responding to this challenge. Whenever such commitments are not recognised as legitimate and justified, there are risks of aggravated international tensions, especially at the junctions of so-called civilisational blocs, as Samuel Huntington pointed out in his Clash of Civilisations.

"Clash" was written in direct response to "End of History." "Clash" the essay was an epiphany to me with regard to America and Islam:  "Islam has bloody borders." When I read the book which grew out of the essay I did not have an epiphany. I thought Huntington had extended it too far. There were twelve or something civilizations? No. If I recall correctly I even wrote that it did not explain Russia! with whom America had no conflict at the time. It explained Russia to the Russians!