Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Party of Doom

Dear Jesus, writing that last post; it's the first time in seven months I've felt "light." I have spent, I would estimate, 75%, maybe closer to 90%, of my writing about politics on the Party of Doom. Sure, the Democratic primaries went on and on and on, but I ignored Senator Sanders, I just didn't take his candidacy seriously, he was never, to my mind a reasonable candidate for the nomination, whereas in the Party of Doom there was real uncertainty, Chaos. It was more interesting to follow them than the Party of Blue Skies. That took a toll. The Party of Doom is a dark, ugly place.

I am not a fearful person by nature, not jealous nor paranoid, not resentful. I have enemies, personal and political, I value them, truly. There are people who are jealous, paranoid, resentful, hateful, racist, fascist, my brother is and always has been one of those Doom and Gloomers, and he wrote to me very early on in our correspondence that Americans were going to reject a continuation of the politics of no drama and blue skies and were ready for Anger. He was correct and I was wrong about the preference for the dark politics of hate and fear in the Republican Party. Tonight, writing that little post was the first time this year that I saw a happy blue sky alternative to the turgid anger of the Doom and Gloomers.

By objective criteria the majority of Americans are better off today than they were eight years ago and America is safer, at home and abroad, but the Republicans have the American mental illness of surrealism and paranoia and have cornered the political market on hate and fear. Some hysterical Gloom and Doomers have written or tweeted their Authoritarian Protector hysterically asking the Evil Clown to protect them! That is pathetic.

I, Benjamin Harris, do not need a hero, I am not a victim, I am not afraid. Instead of writing them a script for their hysteria, the Party of Doom peddles to these nervous-nellie hysterics a politics of fear and hate, they communicate to this dying, fearful, hateful constituency in messages coded for race. They hear Trump's dog whistle and they follow this Wizard of fear and hate. They fantasize about an America that never was and they see in the most implausible presidential candidate in American history, an evil clown, their savior. They are mentally disturbed and they are cowards. They cower in their corners with their guns and under their rocks and in their sewers online and articulate desires to hang or shoot by firing squad Hillary Clinton.

And then tonight, the alternative: two grownups, not two disturbed evil clowns, one manic, the other wooden, and for me these dark clouds parted and the skies were blue again. I feel so much better. Donald Trump has a reasonable, plausible chance at the presidency but now, there is a happy, reassuring team of adults as alternative.

Americans' birthright is the pursuit of happiness not flight from fear. THINGS ARE NOT BAD! This is a good time for America! The Gloomy Old Party is a party of rebels without a cause, haters for the sake of hating. We have a choice now: between a politics of optimism and confidence and rational assessment, symbolized by a simple logo the color of a happy, bright blue sky, pointing us in the right direction, and a politics of irrational fear and racial and ethnic hate symbolized by a "hot," turgid, symbol coded the color of Danger. It is a choice between the optimistic happiness of blue, and the angry hatred of red, the color of danger, symbolizing a politics of racism, anti-semitism, and authoritarianism.

There is no choice.