Saturday, August 13, 2016

Running "Scared"

Mr. Rove later told people he believed Mr. Trump was confused and scared in anticipation of the general election, according to people who have heard Mr. Rove’s account.

That was the most interesting, to me, of the words used to describe Trump.

He's "scared." 

"Are you scared. Donald? Well, you should be! We're coming."
         -Senator Elizabeth Warren, June 18.

Nobody has consistently gotten under Trump's skin as has Elizabeth Warren. 

My God. I had taken to using that exact phrase, "We're coming," to get to the Low-Lifes. They are "scared." And they "should be!" We are going to ruin you.

.@realDonaldTrump makes death threats because he's a pathetic coward who can’t handle the fact that he’s losing to a girl.
2:51 PM - 9 Aug 2016
59.4K RETWEETS116K LIKES

One could substitute "is scared" for "can't handle the fact" and not do violence to the intended meaning of Warren's tweet. They would be synonymous in meaning.

I heard "scared" in Trump's initial spoken reaction to Khizr Khan's speech. The day following the speech Trump was speaking somewhere and I heard the audio on NPR, Trump said "That guy last night, I wanted to punch him in the face so hard," one of his standard lines, but I heard this one rather than read it and I heard slight pause somewhere in those words, I don't remember where, but it was there and it was noticeable, such that I looked at the radio! I was driving he said it, he paused when he said it and I looked to the radio as if "Could you play that back?" Lol. I really did. Trump wasn't sure himself if that, one of his standard retorts, was going to work this time and it wasn't delivered with the standard Trump anger, as I had also heard him deliver it previously. I thought about that two-second audio the rest of the drive and when I got home, I was taking off my jacket and loosening my tie and I thought "That is the first time I have heard Trump being insincere." It sounded like something Trump planned on saying rather than a sincere eruption from his Id.

I googled donald trump "scared" tonight during preparation of this post:

Khzir Khan's Speech Scared Donald Trump & Here's How You Can Tell
http://www.bustle.com/articles/175692-khzir-khans-speech-scared-donald-trump-heres-howyou-can-tell
Khzir Khan's DNC speech scared Donald Trump, and you need look no further than his Twitter feed to see that.
...
And yet, no incendiary Twitter response was forthcoming...the notoriously on-the-attack GOP nominee realized that he'd been beat...

I didn't know that, I deliberately was not following the conventions and so I didn't know that Trump didn't respond with one of his trademark twitter screeds. I think this writer, Chris Tognotti, was dead on.

I also found this:

Todd Vaziri @tvaziri
Every non-hyperbolic tweet is from iPhone (his staff).
Every hyperbolic tweet is from Android (from him).
3:20 PM - 6 Aug 2016

When Trump wishes the Olympic team good luck, he’s tweeting from his iPhone. When he’s insulting a rival, he’s usually tweeting from an Android.
...
 the Android tweets are angrier and more negative...
...
...Trump’s Android account uses about 40-80% more words related to disgust, sadness, fear, anger, and other “negative” sentiments than the iPhone account does....

We’re especially interested in which words drove this different in sentiment. Let’s consider the words with the largest changes within each category:



To be "scared" is, of course, a common human feeling but it is not common for a male of our species to give away that he's scared. You may be shaking in your boots but that upper lip must remain stiff. "And yet," Trump has let himself be seen shaking in his boots by Elizabeth Warren, Karl Rove, Chris Tognotti, and by:

If @TeamUSA was as fearful as Trump, Michael Phelps and Simone Biles would be cowering in the locker room.

America isn’t afraid to compete.


I think they have nailed it.