Friday, September 23, 2016

Have a lot of "down time" when you're in jail. When you're a lawyer waiting to see clients in jail, too. So this morning I started a post on what each candidate should aim to do in the first presidential debate Monday night. Was writing long-hand on my legal pad. Wrote about three pages; got lost in the writing of it actually; didn't realize how long I had been at it till my back started hurting so I left. Lost the post, too. Can't find the legal pad now. f%!$#

I remember I got through what Trump should aim to do and, as I was driving away from Time Square, I started thinking (not writing) about what Mrs. Clinton should do. I thought different things but the penultimate thought I had was that she should be "direct, blunt" and something else, I think there were three, but direct and blunt will do. "Like Margaret Thatcher," I thought, like another woman I think but now don't remember who, and this was the beauty part, "Like Marcia Clark when she told F. Lee Bailey to sit down" (and he did) during the O.J. Simpson trial. I had not thought of that moment in years and years.

I googled (while driving) "marcia clark telling f lee bailey to sit down," I did not find anything, but clicked on a New York Times story that came up. Skimmed it looking for the moment, didn't find it, but read this:

...he said he had settled his differences with the chief prosecutor, Marcia Clark, who had not only called him a liar but had ridiculed him for everything from his work habits to his legal knowledge to the size of his hands. 


Almost ran off the road when I read that, I did. That's what Hillary Clinton should do Monday night.