Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Yesterday when I came home from FIU, Eleven, in heat, climbed on my shoulders per usual as I read something on the computer. She fell off my shoulder and instinctively clawed at anything to break her fall. That would be my left hand. I felt the skin rip.


After blotting and washing. It bled like a motherfucker.



The first one this morning.

I have told my family and sent them the first few photos, but I have not told them this.

This has tilted me in way that confuses me. I feel not in control. Like, I can't prevent this from happening to me. I am doubting my competence at life. It has affected my psychology and emotions.  I am weirdly embarrassed about it. "Is it weird of me to post so many photos?" So, I deleted some in this post. I feel humiliated. Like, I can't even prevent my house cat from doing this to me? One of the photos above I took when I was in Publix. It looks like I got attacked with a claw hammer. I was afraid people might look bug-eyed at it. My nerves are frayed. I can't stop taking photos of it. Can't stop looking at it.

It was an accident. Not Eleven's fault. Not my fault certainly, but not intentional on Eleven's part.

   Yes, but an accident is what I fear most with my carotid artery.

But it looks worse than it is. I felt it of course, but the real sting came when I washed it. 

The cuts are only skin deep, no puncture wounds or damage to tendons or nerves. No (real) harm, no foul?

I know it's not my fault, nor Eleven's, but I interrogate myself: "What do you mean taking a random stray cat in and treating it like it's a baby human? "Honey"; "I love you"; "my little girl", etc. Eleven is not a little girl, she's not human. But I treat her as if she was, even talk to her. "I'm going to go get some food honey, daddy will be right back." I'm not her father. But I love her. I have felt love, or as close as a cat can get to love, from her. She was the only full-time roommate I ever had here and the last!  But now...

After this happened yesterday afternoon I kept us separate, she in the room I'm not. We're separate now. I haven't talked to her, haven't cooed at her. I don't miss yet that closeness, that faux closeness. She is a plant or a wall hanging now, not a roommate.

You know how you read that people who are badly beaten, maimed by a random stranger? I've read that in a weird way they fault themselves. Like, "There must be something particularly loathsome about me that a random stranger picks me to hurt so badly. Maybe I am so unlovable that I deserved it." That shit happens, some victims of random violence do think that shit.

Anyway, I needed to talk to someone about how I feel and now I've gotten it off my chest to all of you. I can't stop looking at the hand but maybe now at least I can stop taking gross autopsy photos of it.