Thursday, July 16, 2009

To Miami Criminal Law Community

Hello folks!

The last time I wrote here on any subject I posted my resignation email. I have been out in private practice for 2 1/2 weeks now. Arnie Trevilla has been the most wonderful friend to me and I am sharing space with him.

Here is a shameless plug for Arnie: http://www.miamicriminallawattorney.com/ He deserves it, and much more.

My first day out I got an email from a person who I hardly knew. That contact resulted in a meeting then another meeting and culminated in me getting involved in a case that I am very excited about. Girlfriend aside I haven't been able to reveal to anyone what it is but I hope to write about it here, soon, and often.

I have been surprised at the transition. Even though I left on the worst possible terms and under the worst possible circumstance (of my creating, not the office's) I thought I would miss the office more. But the last five years, since I sent the Barquin email to the administration, have not been fun. Being an A.S.A. was the only professional job I ever had and I loved it. But the first day out, as I drove past the S.A.O. and continued driving to Arnie's office I didn't have a wistful or longing moment. And when I walked into Arnie's building I didn't have a disconnect.

However the people, administration aside (of whom I also expect to write soon and often), I miss terribly: the A.S.A.'s still in the office, and perhaps most of all the support personnel.

There is one aspect of the transition to private practice that has been excrutiating so far. Those of you who know me well know that I have Z-E-R-O business or financial aptitude. I often didn't pay attention to the check at lunch and would just throw some bills on the table, which resulted in a 100% tip on occasion. I haven't kept a checkbook in 15 years and couldn't keep it straight when I did. Every client I interview I want to represent for free, or at least half off.

It has been a daunting change.

If it wasn't for my friend-girl, and Arnie's advice, I'd be done.

I'll see you down the road.