Wednesday, July 20, 2022

I got an email today from Martindale-Hubbell, the lawyers information site: "Congratulations on your 40th Anniversary." My goodness, forty years. What a wonderful life I have had in the law.

On my fortieth anniversary as a lawyer I share a story of this rewarding life. I represented a client 10-12 years ago. A series of very serious crack-related cases. The first time I visited him in jail he impressed me with his intelligence and goodness. I told him then, first meeting, "You are going to succeed in life." I visited him every couple of weeks for a minimum of an hour each time. We grew very close and kept in close contact even when he went to prison on the charges. He has been out about a year and immediately gave me his new contact info and details about his new life. He immediately got a job, I cautioned him to expect a lot of rejection because of his record, but anybody who meets him is impressed with him, as I was. The other day I received a text from him,

"My first car! I'm so excited," under a photo of the car.

Then a photo of him and his beautiful girlfriend. I was elated for him and very proud of him. I sent him my congratulations. He responded:

"Thank you Benjamin! Always remember you were the first to believe in me and because you did was the beginning of believing in myself!" Always know I'm here if you need me! Have a good night! Love you!"

One person can make a difference in another life and you don't have to have specialized training to do it. Sometimes all it takes is believing in them.