Sunday, April 30, 2023

“WHO THE FUCK ARE THE FLORIDA PANTHERS?!”

In 1993 I flew out to Chicago for the “Panthers” first ever game. I bought a Panthers hat at the old barn, the Chicago Stadium. I was one of about TEN “Panther” fans there and we were outnumbered by rough “Blackhawk” fans about 20,000-10. I stood up and cheered when we scored the first goal and a woman behind me started yelling the ENTIRE GAME, “PANSIE PANTHERS!” So I didn’t cheer anymore. We tied the game and as I left I threw away my hat in the interest of self-preservation and walked out of the Stadium to my car. Alone. In front of me were three of the aforementioned 20,000 and they were…out of sorts. “WHO THE FUCK ARE THE FLORIDA PANTHERS?!” Like three times. I didn’t respond (obviously). Tonight, everyone knows who the fuck the Florida “Panthers” are.