Saturday, May 27, 2023

A Closed Family

March:

"I was raised by grandma and grandpa. I didn't really see dad. I lived down at grandma and grandpas."

     "Where were mum and dad?"

"I don't know."

 

May 25:

"Put yourself in a state of nature of the mind; your back is against the wall."

     "I'll try. I haven't really had times like that though." 

"I have. I was raised by my grandparents."

He went on to list the others.

 

May 27:

     "I want to come back to what you said the other day. You've said it at least twice, that you were raised by grandma and grandpa. How long did that last?"

"Let's see...Uncle Jack was killed in 1945...Three years, four years."

     "Where were mum and dad?"

"Mum would come by..."

     "Where were they living?"

"I don't know, I assume with our paternal grandparents."

     "Where was that?"

"You know where the clothing store was? Right across the street from there."

     "That's not too far from where grandma and grandpa lived. Why didn't they come see you?"

"They didn't have a car..."

     "They could have walked from there...Why didn't they live with you and grandma and grandpa?"

"I don't know. They were working I guess. Dad was working. Dad worked his ass off. Maybe mum was working as a hairdresser, I don't know."

     "Did grandma and grandpa have a car?"

"I don't know. They did go to church."... [Our church was maybe 100 yards from where he assumes mum and dad were living.]

     "Did you ever ask mum and dad later in life what that was all about?"

"No, that was just life."

"I'm different. I was raised by my grandparents."