Sunday, September 15, 2024

At 5:20 pm I posted my first about the assassination attempt. The frisson quickly dissipated and when it did my reaction settled to,

I think the political rule of assassinations is you only get one total bounce. (Text to family and one friend at 6:37, posted here at 6:38. 

So the political shelf life for this for me lasted one hour and twenty-seven mins. It has been a surreal summer but that was my unconsciously nonplussed reaction within less than an hour and a half. It was not consciously cynical, it was sincerely how I felt. Maybe the majority of American adults are still still deeply affected, I can only speak for myself. When the assassination attempt in Butler, Pa. occurred I was about broken. That was so close to a successful assassination and trumpie's truly heroic response was unique in American political history. I thought he was a shoe-in to win the presidency in November after that. This had nowhere near the same effect on me. To reiterate, I speak for no one's feelings but my own, but I have thought, what undecided voter after Butler has now decided, "One didn't push me to vote for Trump; but this second, I'm definitely going to vote for him."? I truly feel a negligible number. Who among Kamala voters will say, "I have to vote for trumpie now?" None, imo. It is only 8 hours or so after the event and who knows what police interrogation of Routh will reveal? But unless he says the Harris-Walz campaign put out a hit on trumpie, I think we have a fair handle on the motive and I don't expect the event today to have any significant effect on the voters in the swing states. All of this are my honest, sincere, reactions and thoughts.