Sunday, December 19, 2010

Seeking the Soul

And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren.

I live in a neighborhood called "Little Israel."  I am a frequent patron of the local bagel shop and the owner has become a friend. He is a good man, and thoughtful, and when he speaks I listen; sometimes I ask questions. He talked to me the other day about friendship.  He said his dad had told him to always find the good in others and that once that good was found everyone could be a friend.

It is good to have friends, and I believe that there is good in everyone...but it's a matter of weighing.  There are other things in us all besides good. In some of us those other things outweigh the good.  In that case they must become enemies. It is good to have enemies.