Thursday, July 21, 2011

Received an email yesterday from the PRC. Did not know previously the person who sent it. It was in Chinese, I google translated it. It was not for discount cigarettes. I sent it to Jennifer Li, a Chinese-American friend, asking her if it looked legitimate. Her response:


Hi, Ben:

First let me translate it and then I tell you my opinion:

Translation:

“Jia Eiguo, age 22, Beijing resident, was shot in head, on 3/22/1989, on her way to Princess's Mausoleum [a place of historical interest in Beijing] by the Liberation Army soldiers carrying out the Marshall Law. He Anbin, age 32, Beijing resident, was killed on 6/4/1989. If you want to know what happened, how many people were killed or ran over by tanks into ground meat, you may read [redacted-BH].”

The title at the end could be someone's website or something depending on the situation. My guess is your name has been "publicized" in China as an American sympathizer for dissidents in China. Therefore, whenever these people want to have their voices heard by as many people as possible, especially in the Western world, they would use the listserv. That's why from time to time you receive this kind of mails. Some may be even desperate or on the verge of psychological breakdown. Of course, what you need most is to watch for net cops who either try to lure you with these messages or, worse, cause you some trouble personally including computer virus. My opinion is ignore them if think they are suspicious. Rely on your instinct. Don't hesitate to ask me to look at them if you want to have a second opinion.

I emailed back:

Thanks, Jennifer. Do you think I should ignore this?

Her response:

Yes. Honestly, I am concerned about China's recent development. Now the authorities are persecuting lawyers including outspoken artists like Ai Weiwei with such a heavy hand because the society is restless and complainers and petitioners are so angry. Moreover, the Mongols, the Ugurs, and the Tibetans are all desperate. Unfortunately, no time in history has this country been so weak diplomatically due to the economic situation. Help the Chinese in things they need you the most like what Youqin is doing if you wish. This is a dangerous world now.

Some readers will know the name Ai Weiwei as one of China's most provocative artists.   I did not know there had been a recent crackdown on him. Youqin is of course Dr. Youqin Wang of the University of Chicago. 

Fighting is a contact sport. I knowingly fight, therefore I accept that I am going to get hit. I have engaged in this contact sport repeatedly, it is a prominent and peculiar character defect. I have fought those stronger than I, those of equivalent strength, those weaker. It is wiser to fight the last. The writing I have done on China would not by a reasonable definition constitute a fight. I am a blogger. China is not reasonable though, they consider this a fight and they have struck in a cyber sense by blocking this site, as they have done Dr. Wang's, and it certainly appears from recent evidence that they are going to do something else. Obviously it will not stop me writing and if they consider that fighting then that's what I'm doing.