Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Egypt 2.0

                                                         
"We have a feeling the regime is still there, somehow.
                          -Tarek Geddawy, Egyptian.

They're still protesting.

The center of the democracy universe, shiny Tahir Square, is once more filled with clear-thinking young--and middle-aged and old--Egyptians like Tarek, a "musician" above. Actually, they've never stopped protesting. I don't think Tahir Square has been clear since that heady day in February when President Mubarak was toppled and Lara Logan gang-raped.

What are they protesting about now?  Some of the old songs are being sung by musicians like Tarek, those that "denounced Israeli and American policies" (per The New York Times) are just updated with Arabic rap. I'm going to run out and by that CD right now. As for the September elections...what September elections?

Oh, enough of my sarcastic humor, the simple declarative sentence will do: I do not believe in the likelihood of success of Egyptian democracy. I do not believe the Egyptian people want it enough. I do not believe in the likelihood of success of democracy in the Muslim world generally (that's three simple declarative sentences).

I wish I could say that I wish the Egyptian people well in whatever they decide, if deciding is what they're doing, but I can't say that. The Muslim world, and Egypt is part of that world, is hostile to America, and I'm part of that world, and so I want in other countries what is best for me and my world more than I want whatever Egyptians, or Israelis, or Chinese want in their worlds. But I don't want what is best for America in Egypt bad enough to want America to do anything about it. America does not need Egypt--or its people--as friends. I don't think America needs many friends at all; America is big enough and strong enough to go without many friends. And I think it's good to have enemies; helps remind you who you are and what you stand for.