Monday, July 18, 2011

This is Public Occurrences


Ninhao/Hej/What’s up,

It has been a year since Google began providing “Stats,” enough data to determine statistically significant measures like “average” and deviations from average.

The average number of daily pageviews in the last year has been 81 (The Huffington Post averaged 82 I think.).

Then came yesterday.

Yesterday there were 510 pageviews (graph above). That’s about two million standard deviations from the norm. By country, a majority of yesterday’s pageviews were from:





What’s up did a censor fall asleep?  I checked a little into other stats that Google provides. One is “posts,” pageviews per, top ten for the day, week, etc. There was no corresponding increase.  In other words, all those new visitors weren’t reading. 

What is going on here?  Those numbers obviously are not “real.”  There were not 510 “pageviewers” here yesterday. It was China’s internet Gestapo doing…something, I don’t know what, but not reading. Last month I opened up my ‘puter, checked my gmail account and discovered that the whole thing was in Chinese. That same day there were reports all over the news that gmail accounts, governmental and private, had been hacked by the Chinese. That occurred two days before the anniversary of the Tiananmen massacre and I wrote about the incident here.

Bizarre.