Monday, September 26, 2016

Good debate. I think Clinton on points but that is not what I was lead to believe she was going for. She was going to "CRUSH" Trump. She did not do that. Nor did Trump rattle Clinton. Clinton did rattle Trump a little, he got a bit defensive and a little overly aggressive but nothing was more than a standard deviation away from the norm. No knockouts certainly, no knockdowns. I was impressed with Mrs. Clinton's command of herself and the facts. I was impressed with Trump's command of himself, if not the facts. I caught all but the introductions.

I don't know who that benefits. Trump has had all the momentum for the past month or so. Did this stop his momentum? I don't know. He may have gained momentum with a pretty solid performance, at least by his standards. I don't think it will move Clinton ahead. A points decision in her favor I don't think will do that.  The political axiom is that nobody wins the White House in the debates but you can lose the White House in debates. I don't think anybody won or lost the White House in this debate. Will it stop Trump's momentum? That, to me, is the question.

This is the first of three debates. There are two more if this did not stop Trump's momentum. Right now, my best semi-idiotic reaction is that this didn't move the momentum away from Trump.

Good night.