Thursday, September 01, 2016

Seeking the Soul of America

"I have developed an image…of the American people as confident, courageous and persevering.

It is with this image that I begin this campaign."


So John F. Kennedy ended his brief speech on January 2, 1960 announcing his candidacy for president.


I do not have that image of the American people in 2016. It was not with that image of the American people that Donald Trump began his campaign for the presidency. 

The soul of America was the pursuit of happiness. I have written that characteristics of the American soul were confidence and extroversion. I do not believe that the American people today are confident and extroverted. I believe that they are uncertain and introverted. Fearful. And tired.

I have written that the American soul was changed by Islam's attacks on September 11, 2001. I do not know what the soul of America became after 9/11 nor what it is today. But confidence, courage, perseverance and extroversion are not part of it.