Thursday, September 01, 2016

Seeking the Soul of America

"I have developed an image…of the American people as confident, courageous and persevering.

It is with this image that I begin this campaign."


So John F. Kennedy ended his brief speech on January 2, 1960 announcing his candidacy for president.


I do not have that image of the American people in 2016. It was not with that image of the American people that Donald Trump began his campaign for the presidency. 

I believe that the soul of America is the pursuit of happiness. I have written that characteristics of the American soul were confidence and extroversion. I do not believe that the American people today are confident and extroverted. I believe that they are uncertain and introverted. Fearful. And tired.

I have written that the American soul was changed by Islam's attacks on September 11, 2001. I do not know what the soul of America became after 9/11 nor what it is today. But confidence, courage, perseverance and extroversion are not part of it.