Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Fortnight in Hell

After two weeks off it began April 4 with the comprehensive defeat to Liverpool in the first leg of the Champions League quarter-finals. Three days later, Saturday, it continued with the exquisitely painful loss to Manchester United at Etihad Stadium when we could have officially wrapped up the Premier League title. As a fan of this team it was my most painful loss ever. I could not follow it after Paul Pogba tied it at two and I have not read anything about it.

It resumes today, also at home, with the second leg of the Liverpool tie. God's Righteous Team of Angels are in an 0-3 Champions League hole. They must win today 4-0 or if Liverpool score an away goal, 5-1. Otherwise, City's European campaign will end with a whimper.

It will conclude this Saturday at fourth place Tottenham.

Although I have not watched or read anything on those results it seems to me that teams and managers have figured out how to beat Pep Guardiola's tiki-taka. Attack! Attack! Attack! It was obvious to me, but I am a soccer ignoramus, when I first saw Pep's tiki-taka in England, that attacking, pressuring the ball, was the...obvious way to beat tiki-taka. One could not lay back in a shell, "park the bus," as United did in the earlier league match at Old Trafford and as Chelsea did, appallingly, at Etihad. I felt vindicated, painfully, by the write-ups on City's league match at Anfield. Jurgen Klopp had pressed, attacked, and City lost its first league match. Without really knowing, I know what happened Saturday against United. Jose Mourinho stayed in his shell in the first half. At half-time, down 2-0, he told his players, "We're gonna try what ol' Klopp did." The result: the two quick second half goals by Pogba and in the 60's the third, the match winner.

It has been so painfully commonsensical, so obvious that I am shocked it has taken so long. Painful vindication. Painful.