Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Bill Kristol retweeted this with a recommendation that we all read a book on how personality cults and mass movements get started:

Candace Owens
@RealCandaceO
I truly believe that @realDonaldTrump isn’t just the leader of the free world, but the savior of it as well.

May God bless America— the last stand for western civilization.
10:18 PM · Apr 16, 2018

I have written many times of the "Svengali-like hold" that Trump has on his detritus, in fact, that was my first answer to a question posed by my-brother-the-klansman (and Trump voter, duh) when Trump first started winning primaries. "Why do you think nothing sticks?"

I thought of this again over the weekend. I was re-reading some China books ("Everything always comes back to China," my last girlfriend Carmen once said to me.) and I remembered Sen. Ted Cruz' debate with two Trump supporters in Indiana. "What do you like about Donald Trump?" Cruz asked. "Everything," detritus #1 answered. "Whatever Trump says, I believe," he went on. "Whatever is in the Bible, I believe," one of my other brothers once said to me. They are the savior's words. In both cases, and in Candace Owens' case, whatever the savior says is to be believed; he is the savior.

And, yes, that brings to mind China. In the case of Hua Guofeng, Mao Zedong's immediate successor. Hua's prescription to the Chinese people was,  δΈ€δΈͺε‡‘ζ˜―, the "Two Whatevers," We will resolutely uphold whatever policy decisions Chairman Mao made, and unswervingly follow whatever instructions Chairman Mao gave" since,

The east is red, the sun is rising.
From China comes Mao Zedong.
He strives for the people's happiness,
Hurrah, he is the people's great savior!
He strives for the people's happiness,
Hurrah, he is the people's great savior!


Good suggestion by Kristol to re-read some of the literature on personality cults and mass movements. Already have.