Tuesday, November 30, 2021

FT MIA 111 DEN 120

Before the supernova hit last night I had been tracking the game. I think in my penultimate dispatch I recorded that the "Heat" could not shoot and were not playing defense. The latter continued throughout the remaining course of the game. At FT Denver shot 58.1% (51.4%). The "Nuggets" had seven players in double figures, including Mr."Bones" Hyland with 19. Of course I don't remember when a Miami team was equally porous but I assume there was a game. Damn few, I'd wager! That is beyond embarrassing. They just didn't try. I didn't notice until this post that Jimmy Butler did not play. He was out with a bruised tailbone. I'm not making excuses, I do think Jimmy's absence goes a long way toward explanation for the olé defense. They miss Jimmy's toughness. Also Haslem didn't see action, he was confined in a straitjacket on the bench.

From memory the "Heat" shot better over the remainder of the game after I over-and-outed. Their final was 47.3% which is damn good for an NBA team; not nearly as well from range, 34.1%, which is bad for an NBA team, and only 66.7% from the free throw line, which is Shaq territory.

When I first checked, it was early, I think the score was 5-3, Duncan Robinson was 1/1 (1/1), which I took to be a very good sign indeed. He finished 1/9 (1/9). Which is Justise Winslow territory. Spoelstra can't do this any longer. But I think he will. The tinkerer has turned into a man made of stone.

Tyler Herro was unavailable as relief of Duncan's misery for "overall body soreness", which is my daily condition.

Kyle Lowry had BY FAR his best game with the "Heat" and his stat line is as fine as you are ever able to read for point guard: 14 assists, only one turnover, 17 points on 5/9 (2/5). Kyle was sublime.

Bam had a big game, a team- and tied for game-high 24 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists, he did have five turnovers.

No word whether the Jokic brothers were in attendance.