Wednesday, July 03, 2024

"I'm running. I'm in this race to the end."

I can't square that with the statements by "close ally" of his phone conversation with the president last night. "Close ally" was not lying. The president did not lie to him, it was a candid conversation. The president was "clear-eyed"; staying in the race was not certain, it was contingent on 1) polls 2) his performance in the Stephanopoulos interview Friday and on the stump in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin 3) fundraising. The president's decision would be timely, made immediately after those events this week.

Then today, "I'm running. I'm in this race to the end" to his campaign staff? Either that was a lie or his phone convo with "close ally" was a lie. For the life of me I cannot understand why he would lie to his campaign staff less than 24 hours after the phone call, and after the accounts of the call were published by NYT and CNN.