Monday, April 09, 2012

China.

A few months ago a friend in Beijing asked me to check on how Fang Lizhi was doing, if there was any new news on him. I checked and there wasn't much and I sent my friend what there was.

When Fang died over the weekend I sent him the following email:

"Hi Chang,

Fang Lizhi died yesterday, as I am sure you know.

-Ben"

I was sure he knew. I felt a little sheepish sending the email.  His response:

"No, Ben, there is no news and I understand why---the so-callled "people's servants" here fear and hate such a brave, good man, and they also fear their "master"!!! 
If you have more news about his passing away and the comment on/feedback to that event in Western society, please send it to me. Thanks!"
  
They don't know.  The Chinese people don't know that Fang Lizhi died.