Tuesday, April 17, 2012


From a 20-something friend:

"Have you ever heard of Reddit?"


"Yeah, I have heard of it. Don't know what it does."


"I was hanging out with Doug on Saturday and his sister had a birthday party so I went.  There were like 17 people there and Heather only knew three.  They all got there through Reddit."


"Sorry, I was sharpening my quill, she only knew three people at her birthday party?  How did they get there?"


"I don't know, through Reddit.  I was talking to some girl and asked her how she knew Heather and she told me she didn't, she had seen a notice on Reddit that Heather was having a birthday party and showed up."


"How do you do that through Reddit?"  


"I don't know, I guess you post 'I'm having a party' and give the address.  It's bizarre."


"What? This was at Heather's parents house?"


"Yeah."


"WHATT?  So 14 unknown people show up to your house for your daughter's birthday party?"


"Yeah, it really weirded me out."


"That is totally bizarre. I've never heard of anything like that. I thought maybe Reddit was an online book club, like, 'I read it.'"


[mocking laughter]


"I can't believe her parents would allow that.  They could have been cleaned out!  Anybody could show up--Orkin, the town rapist could show up."


"I know. It was weird."


"Nope, didn't know that's what Reddit did."


"Me neither."