Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Seeking the Soul of America.


In this corner, wearing the dark trunks is the challenger, Max Schmeling. And in this corner wearing...dark trunks also,  is the heavyweight champeen of the world, the "Brown Bomber," Joe Louuuu-is. 

God, Americans love competition.  When I was growing up my brother and my friends and I would find some way to compete against each other. Sports obviously, card games, we would make up games and then turn them into a competition just so we could compete. Flipping coins, "guess which side;"  yep, did that. Games were boring but any kind of competition was exciting. As an adult I've done the same things with my kids.

Tonight the heavyweight competition is between our two candidates for president. Like most of the competitions I engaged in as a kid, tonight's debate is likely to be meaningless. Only a couple of presidential debates are documented to have affected the election. I think Americans will tune in for the competitive aspect of it rather than the substance, watching, waiting--hoping--to see if one candidate can land a knockout punch, especially on himself. And, as in modern sports, its not the game itself but the post-game commentary that is really important.