Sunday, January 06, 2013

I picked up a book, The Swerve, by Stephen Greenblatt of Harvard. The book won a Pulitzer Prize:

"...the fear of death...dominated my entire childhood. It was not fear of my own death that so troubled me...It was rather my mother's absolute certainty that she was destined for an early death."
"My mother was not afraid of the afterlife: like most Jews she had only a vague and hazy sense of what might lie beyond the grave."
...
"For as far back as I can remember, she brooded obsessively on the imminence of her end, invoking it again and again...when I simply left the house for school, she clung tightly to me, speaking of her fragility and of the distinct possibility that I would never see her again...Sometimes she would show me a vein pulsing in her neck and, taking my finger, make me feel it for myself, the sign of her heart dangerously racing."
...
"As it turned out, my mother lived to a month shy of her ninetieth birthday."

Goodness gracious. Poor guy. Presbyterians don't have experiences like that.