Wednesday, January 30, 2013


The "Lion of God," Ariel Sharon, former Prime Minister of Israel is sentient. Mr. Sharon suffered a devastating stroke, thought to have resulted in irreversible brain damage over seven years ago. Doctors said he had been in a "permanent vegetative state" since.  His sons however always maintained that he recognized them. Now a team of Israeli and American doctors have confirmed and say he shows "significant brain activity."  I guess nothing is new under the sun but this is close to being a miracle. Sharon was--is--a man who cannot get enough of life. He loves everything about life, and showed it in his eating and drinking which led to his stroke. My favorite anecdote about Sharon was his meeting with Anwar Sadat during the Camp David Accords. "I tried to kill you," said President Sadat. "You failed, Anwar." Sharon was a major figure in all of Israel's wars. I once asked rhetorically in these pages if I could write in Ariel Sharon's name on my ballot for president of the United States.