Thursday, December 24, 2020

MMXX

Texts between me and son late last night:

Me: New NBA season started tonight. Heat lost to Magic. Such a strange year I can’t keep up with sports. No idea when City play next, didn’t know the Heat opened tonight.

Son: I didn’t realize that we played until I saw my ESPN app notify me. Somehow without social interaction the concept of sports is utterly mundane UNLESS you play that sport. In which case it’s just a job. Who cares about gold mining? Gold miners. Who cares about basketball. Basketball players. Some of the magic is lost and I’m not sure exactly why. 

Me: Yeah, there is no magic in watching a game on TV with a nearly empty stadium. It’s ineffably weird. But the games and matches are still televised. It’s the lack of media coverage that is so puzzling to me. Broadcasters still have a financial interest in promoting and covering them yet ESPN didn’t even provide recaps of college football games until the last three or so weeks of the season.