Thursday, December 24, 2020

God Save ‘Tis Heil Country Rooski

This is unbelievable. You know how Americans totally ripped off the music to "God Save the Queen" for "My Country 'Tis of thee"? Always pissed me off. But NOW.  I was just down an internet rabbit hole and wikipedia'd the Kingdom of Prussia (1701-1918). "Oh let's see what their national anthem was," to self.

I sent it to my son and his mother. My son did some research:

“The melody [of God Save the Queen) continues to be used for the national anthem of Liechtenstein, "Oben am jungen Rhein", and the royal anthem of Norway, "Kongesangen". In the United States, the melody is used for the patriotic song "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" (also known as "America"). The melody was also used for the national anthem 'Heil dir im Siegerkranz' of the German Empire from 1871 to 1918 and as "The Prayer of Russians", the imperial anthem of Russia from 
1816 to 1833.”

Do we have any imagination? Did we just pass this around? Hey, listen to this. Wanna use it too? That is EMBARRASSING.