Monday, April 22, 2024

“The defendant, Donald Trump, orchestrated a criminal scheme to corrupt the 2016 presidential election."

I don't like that. I think that's reaching too high by the D.A. Alvin Bragg gave three conspiracy objects in his press conference announcing the charges. He has chosen this one for trial. I UNDERSTAND THEIR POINT and in a conspiracy it's the intent, just the attempt, that is enough. I wish Colangelo had put in "intent" and "attempt". I wish he had made clear that they don't have to prove Trump did in fact corrupt the election with the hush money. 

In what jurisdiction did he attempt to corrupt the election? Nationwide? Why isn't it then a federal case, tried in the nation's capital? They have made this case into an attack on the United States, and that strikes me as beyond the caliber of the Stormy Daniels munition. I UNDERSTAND that it was a very close election and this might have tipped the minuscule margin in a few states to throw it. But they don't have to prove that. Trump survived the Access Hollywood tape, would Stormy Daniels really have been the straw? It seems to me anyway that reliance on this lone theory is going out on a slender limb. 

This is a New York state case, in particular, committed in the borough of Manhattan in New York City. Did Trump intend (or attempt) to corrupt the Manhattan vote? Giggle. The New York City vote? Chuckle. The New York state vote? Trump got creamed in New York state.

Bragg has been criticized for aiming too low with this small potatoes case. Here, I think he's reaching too high.