Thursday, June 20, 2024

"Aileen Cannon, even more corrupt than we thought."--Norman Ornstein

That includes me. I think I had ultimately concluded that she was corrupt, the alternative being incompetent, but it was not a slam dunk.

Now, I have two questions: Since Altonago, who I am familiar with from state court, is the chief judge of SOFL; since Cannon refused her urging, on grounds of the bad optics of bias, that Cannon give up the case; since Cannon could have declined the case voluntarily and Judge Altonaga reassigned it; since a lot of corrupt water has passed under the bridge since Cannon decided to keep the case, couldn't Altonago, can't she still, use her authority as chief judge to take it away from Cannon against Cannon's will?

My second question is obvious: What is Jack Smith waiting for? Is it that General Garland has not given him permission to ask for Cannon's recusal?