Friday, September 27, 2024

Pass incomplete, UMG (7) holds on FT 38-34

AP voters have punished highly-ranked teams for close losses at home to decided underdogs. Missouri for example. All except Paterno-Sandusky. Will they the Gardeners? Their ranking is rarified. This game was not and required a late score and a late stand. My answer depends on how the other teams in the top-ten do. The "Hokies" lost at Vanderbilt and home to Ruptures. They have beaten nobody. Thus the -17.5 spread.  

UMG's most impressive win was the 41-17 beatdown of FU in Gainesville in week one. I think UMG is overrated but I don't know if this is the week for a correction. The teams ahead of them are Olé Miss who play KY Jelly in Mississippi God Damn, #1 Texas who will slaughter the Cowbells in Austin. Georgia (2) at Bama (4). The loser will drop. If it's Bama and if it's a decisive loss, I could see them falling below UMG. Same, I guess, with a decisive UGA loss but nobody expects decisive either way. A close loss won't drop UGA to 7th, a close loss at home may drop Bama. Ohio (3) is supposed to murder East Lansing Spartak. -23.5. A close win on the road and I don't see AP writers dropping the "Buckeyes" four spots. A LOSS! Hoo Doggie yes.

I think these competing considerations, barring a hard-to-imagine upset of gigantic proportions will keep UMG where they are.

Good night pickskins!