Saturday, October 09, 2010

Liu Xiaobo's Nobel






Received the following email this morning from a Chinese-American:

Hi, Ben:

It brought tears to my eyes hearing Liu Xiaobo has won the Nobel Peace Prize.
He deserves it. I think Chinese should thank the Nobel Prize Committee for their
decision. I believe it will have a strong impact on the movement for human rights
and democracy. In a way, it is the Chinese communist government that helped make
it happen. I'll wait and see the aftermath.
Let's celebrate it.


Wang Yi




My response was "ABSOLUTELY, my friend!"


I know that this is being celebrated in the PRC (quietly, not with the fireworks as over Guiyang in 2009). The first Chinese Nobel Peace laureate EVER!


I propose a cyber-toast! Let's lift our virtual glasses of Maotai together: Here is to Liu Xiaobo, to Chinese everywhere who celebrate this occasion, and TO CHINA!