Friday, June 24, 2011

                                                               
Prime Minister to Minister of Agriculture, 28 February 1943


"I am not satisfied that it would be a costly business to give the country more eggs.  And it is disturbing to learn that the new cropping programme may lead to a further cut in the present niggardly supply. 


The picture you sent me shows that it is more economical to import dried eggs...The picture is impressive, but would have been more relevant if I had suggested increasing the production of eggs by importing extra cereals. 


What I had in mind was the possibility of diverting a few hundred thousand tons...to hens at the expense of beef cattle.
...
Moreover, I am told that hens are better converters of protein...than are cattle.
...
If cereals were taken from the farms...fewer cattle would be fattened...I am concerned by the moral as well as the nutritional effects of the drastic reductions we have already made in...eggs.


I am greatly distressed...


...remarkable work you have done


...marred


...failure


...I wish I could persuade you


...overcome...difficulties


...entrenching yourself.


If you would like to come and talk to me, please do so."