Friday, February 01, 2013

Desiderata v. Benjamin Harris.

Go placidly [I am not placid.] amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. [I do not seek to be on good terms with all persons.]
Speak your truth [I do that.] quietly [Not that.] and clearly; [Do that.] and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. [I do that.]
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, [I am a loud and aggressive person.]they are vexations to the spirit. [Yes, we are.]
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; [Don't do that.]
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. [I don't think I have achieved much; I don't have any plans; I've only got 25% of life left. What am I going to plan, my frigging funeral? ]
Keep interested in your career, [I am.] however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; [I can't balance my checkbook.] for the world is full of trickery. [I don't think the world is full of trickery.]
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; [I am not blinded to virtue; I see it all the time.] many persons strive for high ideals; [Yes.]
and everywhere life is full of heroism. [Yes.]

Be yourself.[THAT I do.]
Especially, do not feign affection. [I don't do that but I find that strange here. Why "especially?"]
Neither be critical about love; [Don't know what that means: don't be critical of love? I'm not critical of love, why would anyone be critical of love?] for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. [I don't dye my hair or get hair transplants.]
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. [I have a strong spirit, too strong.] But do not distress yourself with imaginings.[I don't.]
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. [Never had any fears before I calculated that I only have 25% of life left. Now I fear death. "Atoms and the void" is not a good choice. Fatigue makes me depressed; have almost never been lonely.]Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. [I have not been disciplined enough so I've been too gentle with myself.]

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; [Desiderata and the Ten Commandments don't apply to the trees and the stars. You have to have free will to comply with this or the 10-C's. I have free will; I have not complied.]
you have a right to be here. [No, we don't have a "right" to be here.]
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, [I am not at peace, I wish God was at peace with me; I am not unconditionally in favor of peace with other people.] whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.[Not at peace with my soul.]
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. [Yes, it is.] Be cheerful.  Strive to be happy. [Ah, it comes down to the p.o.h. No, I'm not going to strive to be happy; I'll strive to be a better person even if it makes me unhappy.]

© Max Ehrmann 1927