Sunday, February 03, 2013



THE GARMAN-GILL FAMILIES, Elizabeth Garman Gill, January 1971

...The land in the Garman purchase included the creeks flowing from each side into the West Branch of the river almost to Cherry Tree. I am not relating this as a fact, but as a story that has come down through the generations. However, we do know that the land-holdings by the Garmans were extensive and were bought from the Penn Heirs.

The first Garman of whom I have any personal knowledge was my grandfather, Peter Garman whom I knew and loved. Around about the late 1820's he married Lucinda Dunkel and settled where the little village of Garman, or Garmantown as it is commonly called, now stands which, of course, was named for him. To this union were born Sarah, Daniel Aaron (my father), Franklin and Mary Jane. My grandmother, Lucinda Dunkel Garman died in childbirth, also her baby when father was eleven years old.

Later Peter Garman married Caroline Bracken and the following children were born: Malvina, Etta, Emma, Harry and Edna Tweet.

Image: Monument to Treaty of Fort Stanwix 1768, Cherry Tree, "Canoe Place," Pennsylvania.