Sunday, September 29, 2019

FT Nebraska S&M 7 Ohio State 48

It got up to 48 zip before Ryan Day put in the ball boys and tuba players from the band.

One of the wonderful things about college football is that the players, who are in some cases children, under 18 years old, in most cases under 21, are not subject to the abuse that goes with the territory of being a millionaire professional. I adhere to that dictum in most cases. Not here, for being a quitter, being a coward, those personality defects can show at 17 years old as clearly as at 47. I have no personal brief for or against Nebraska football but I will not adhere to the well-motivated dictum to spare the children here. I will insult them and categorically. Nebraska’s football players are quitters and cowards.

I have only met a handful of Nebraskans in my life, one couple at the World Trade Center going to Windows on the World before it became Windows on the Ground; some, but two men in particular in the Orange Bowl in 1984; and Faux Pelini, virtually. Each was modest, reasonable, and had the perspective of equanimity that, especially on that exquisitely painful night in the Orange Bowl, was awe-inspiring. On this bare sample size Nebraskans are as fine a people as this country possesses and I see them and then I see these kids: despicable, disgraceful, cowards who debase Nebraskans and I am disgusted with this flower of Nebraska’s youth. 

Florida State and head man Willie Taggart routed a team with the imprimatur of major, North Carolina State, who were 3-1 and leave Tallahassee a compelling 3-2 after a 31-13 beatdown. It is one of, if not the, most impressive wins of Coach Taggart’s teetering tenure.