Sunday, March 20, 2022

Pluto Explodes

Terry Pluto, cleveland.com on the "Browns" trade for troubled and troubling Deshaun Watson:


The Cleveland Browns are bringing Deshaun Watson to Cleveland.

That’s shocking enough, given how Watson originally turned down the Browns.

But this?

According to the NFL Network’s Ian Rapport: “Deshaun Watson gets a fully guaranteed 5-year, $230M contract. That is $80M more than the previous record for fully guaranteed money at signing ($150M). This deal was negotiated by David Mulugheta of Athletes First.”

The Browns also reportedly are sending three first-round picks and two lower draft picks to Houston as part of the trade.

I can’t decide if I’m outraged or speechless.

Or both.

The Browns just guaranteed the most money in NFL history to a guy who didn’t even play last season because of his legal problems dealing with alleged sexual-assault cases, [punctuation sic, he was typing while pissed [which I think is a misdemeanor]] While no criminal charges will be filed, there are still 22 civil claims pending.

Furthermore, he possibly will be suspended for some games to open this season.

Giving up salary cap space....

Future draft assets...

A contract larger (in guarantees) than those recently given to Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers and Josh Allen?

What kind of analytics is this?

I’ll answer my own question: It’s desperation.

HE DIDN’T WANT TO COME HERE [Well, Terry...]

The Browns were embarrassed with the initial rejection by Watson, who obviously didn’t want to come to Cleveland. He was trying to decide between New Orleans and Atlanta.

That’s worth remembering. So when he arrives and final speaks publicly, Watson had better not say, “It’s not about the money.”

It’s all about the money.

Those who like bold moves will say the Browns deserve credit for refusing to be rejected – so they decided to make him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

It’s an offer so unprecedented I thought it was a joke when with [grammar sic] the initial reports hit Twitter.

It’s not.

It’s a belief by the Browns that Watson will transform the franchise and be the QB Cleveland has wanted since the days of Bernie Kosar in the late 1980s.

Maybe that happens, but I have major doubts.

THE REACTION IS ANGER

As I’m writing this, I’m receiving texts and emails from friends and readers.

The vast majority of the fan base didn’t want to enter into the unsavory business of trying to bring Watson to town on his original contract.

“I’m done,” wrote one fan.

Granted, Browns fans swear off the team seemingly every year.

But this is a little different. The female fan base will be hit especially hard by this decision. There are real moral considerations about this decision.

My guess, the Browns know this.

My guess is they don’t care – or at least, they don’t care enough to back away from Watson.

They are gambling the team will win enough games and the fans will accept Watson or anyone else who delivers a team consistently into the playoffs.

That could be true.

But giving this guy a huge raise? I can’t get past that right now.

Nor can I comprehend all the draft picks and salary cap consequences involved in the deal.

Finally, I can’t recall the last time I was so angered and disappointed by a decision by a local franchise. My anger is aimed at the Browns, not Watson when it comes to this deal.