Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Two years ago I was in Providence, Rhode Island with my son for Thanksgiving with my daughter. We went to a bar to eat and drink and the obligatory Detroit "Lions" game was on the bar TVs. In sports nothing says Thanksgiving like the "Lions" game. Nothing says dreary like the "Lions." That Thanksgiving 2021 game against Chicago was dreary, the "Bears" won 16-14, but I thought Detroit's quarterback didn't look half bad and I thought their coach, who I did not know, looked like a football coach. I liked the way he looked, he looked like Bill Cowher. He was impressive looking. That was all. That was Dan Campbell's first year coaching Detroit. They finished a so-Detroit 3-13-1.

On Thanksgiving 2022 my son and I were back in Providence and we watched the "Lions" game on my daughter's couch. I thought the "Lions" looked good! My son demurred and I demurred to him. I thought they were going to win! They didn't. They lost to an excellent Buffalo team 28-25. That was Campbell's second season and the "Lions" finished 9-8! For the "Lions" that's practically the Super Bowl!

I started following the "Lions" and Dan Campbell a little bit, just checking their scores. I have noted that here. Their first game in 2023 was an excruciating loss, I forget to whom. But by God, Detroit is now 6-2. ...Which means they could finish 6-11. But I don't think so. I think they'll make the playoffs this year. 

Yesterday, I googled Dan Campbell. "MCDC". MCDC? "Motor City Dan Campbell". Ha-ha, I liked that. Why? Why was he given the nickname Motor City Dan Campbell? From Wikipedia:


In his introductory press conference the following day, he famously said,

"This team is going to take on the identity of this city, and this city's been down and it's found a way to get up. This team's going to be built on, we're going to kick you in the teeth. ... We're gonna get knocked down and on the way up, we're going to bite a kneecap off. ... Before long we're going to be the last one standing. Any loss that we take, we're going to feel the full pain from it and not be numb to it."

"When you come in here, you're going to get beat up. I'm talking about the team. Not the city. Tourists are welcome."

Detroit fans nicknamed Campbell. They ate that press conference UP, man. Fucking inhaled it like glue. Bill Cowher with his jut jaw and face was all Steel City. Dan Campbell with his face and his personality is all Motor City. I'm rooting for the "Lions" and MCDC now. Not at the expense of the "Dolphins" but as a secondary interest, like I do Nebraska as second to Pitt, like I do Nottingham Forest as second to Manchester City. And I look forward to watching the "Lions" on TV on Thanksgiving Day in my daughter's new apartment in Waterford, Connecticut. I like their colors. Go "Lions"!