Friday, August 28, 2009

Piercings

The gate agent announced that group #4 could now begin boarding the plane and I and the other passengers shuffled forward and began meshing into one line.

An attractive blonde woman in her late 20's/early 30's entered just ahead of me. We looked at each other and she consciously gave a look of ennui.

"Holiday travel," I smiled in commiseration. "I used to wear a suit when I flew but then I'd have to take off my belt, and I'd have to take off my dress shoes because of the nails, so I'll only wear jeans and sneakers now."

"I know. I have a pierced belly-button and that sets it off."

"Oh my God, I bet." I laughed.


"I'd never thought of that," I said having never thought of that.

"Now I don't wear any jewelry. I have to take all my jewelry off, all my piercings. I'm pierced down there too," she said and motioned below her waist.

"OH MY GOD!" The thoughts appeared and popped as quickly as soap bubbles. "I never thought of that. Yeah, I guess that would set it off."

"Yeah. Stainless steel. The thing kept going off and I told them I'm pierced down there. So I had to go into a room with a lady and I had to show them."

"OHMYGOD! They had to look?!"

"Yeah, I had to get undressed and show them, 'See I told you I'm pierced.' "

"OHMYGOD!"

I searched for something else to say to stay on topic but the line was moving, I couldn't think quickly enough and we got separated before boarding the plane and I lost her.


No comments: