Sunday, September 19, 2010

Seeking the Soul of America: The Pursuit of Happiness

                                                      
I received a message earlier this morning:

"I'm in the land of the checkerboard end zone. Go gators!"


This message was not from China.

I was in the land of the dream proximate to my receipt of this communique and thought I was there still when I read it.

It is good to have friends, as I had presciently posted much earlier this same Sunday morning as my receipt of this cell phone text message, a communications medium with which previously I had not known my American friend to be familiar.

My friend is doing what Americans have a Right to do, pursuing Happiness. He found it in Knoxville, Tennessee this weekend where he traveled as an alumnus of the college whose tackle football team frequently entered the checkerboard end zone of his, and his college's, enemies.

My friend is the instantiation of Happiness this early Sunday morning, and I, as his friend, am truly happy for him.