Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Democracy in Arabia

                                                          
Thomas el Friedman is back.  Hi, I'm Thomas L. Friedman. I lean my chin on my hands and look right at you to show that I am a Listener.


"What is unfolding in the Arab world today is the mother of all wake-up calls," is his opening sentence. Hi, I'm Thomas L. Friedman, I use phrases like "mother of all," and so-and-so "left the building" to show that I Listen to the popular culture and the way popular cultures speak to show I'm "with it" even though the popular culture phrases I use are out of date by ten years.


Mr. Friedman's wake-up call was not to advise him that it was check out time, that it was time for him to leave the building, it was a wake-up for us you see, American us's. According to Thomas L. Friedman, "the smart thing for us to do right now is..."

This man is so deep, this man is so learned that we must take him in bite-sized pieces. We must digest his sentences before moving on. So let us us's digest what Thomas L. Friedman has said so far about this mother of all wake up calls, under the heading of "If Not Now, When," before we take the next bite.