Friday, February 17, 2012


What is that?

That is the skyline of Doha, Qatar.  And that is a big tea pot.  Or coffee pot.  

Why?  I don't know.

This "cutting edge" urban architecture is typical of Qatar:



Qatar is very wealthy. I think I read that it has the highest per-capita income in the world.  So they can spend money on the world's biggest tea pot and the world's biggest pearl.

Qatar is one of America's "friends" in the Muslim world (I think).  Qatar is also home to Al Jazeera (I think).

This stuff is not "real."  Not just "the lagoon is man-made:"  Qatar is not real.  Qataris don't do anything, they
just have oil. Like so many Muslim countries in the Middle East, Qatar exists as a country because it sits on an oil field.  Foreigners pay Qataris to drill the oil, they pay Qataris for the oil once they extract it, they pay Qataris for the sale of the oil. So the whole country has a foreign, "fake" look to it. The best architects and urban planners petro-dollars can buy created Doha's skyline.  

I think I read someplace that no democracy has ever existed in a country where oil was over 40% or 50% of GDP.