Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Bzzz.






Yeah, we'll get back to Mohammad shortly, Governor Romney. But first, as to you.



MALE VOICE: For the past three years, all everybody's been told is, "Don't worry. We'll take care of it." How are we gonna do it, in two months before the elections, to convince everybody you've gotta take care of yourself?


MITT ROMNEY: Well, there are 47% of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right? There are 47% who are with him. Who are dependent upon government, who believe that-- that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they're entitled to healthcare, to food, to housing, to you name it. But that's-- it's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.


And-- and-- I mean the president starts off with 48%, 49%, 40-- or he-- he starts off with a huge number. These are people who pay no income tax. 47% of Americans pay no income taxes. So our message of low taxes doesn't connect. And he'll be out there talking about tax cuts for the rich. I mean that's what they sell every-- every four years.


And-- and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for for their lives. What I have to do is convince the 5% to 10% in the center that are independents, that are thoughtful, that look at voting one way or the other depending upon in some cases emotion. Whether they like the guy or not. What they-- what it looks like. I mean the-- it's the-- the-- when you ask those people-- we do all these polls. I find it amazing. We poll all these people, see where you stand in the polls. About 45% of the people will vote for the Republican and 48% or 49%-- (BREAK IN AUDIO)
......................
That is really insulting to me personally. I am a professional in private practice, I am in the middle class, I pay income taxes and all other taxes, I am not dependent on the government for anything...I guess when I'm appointed by the court to represent an indigent criminal defendant and accept payment from the government I benefit--not much I can swear an oath to that--, other than that...Jesus Christ, how the hell DO I benefit from the government... I'm not on any kind of government program, no government health insurance, social security, food stamps...paid back my student loans. God DAMN it, I'm a chump, how can I suckle at the government's teet? Romney, I am not "dependent" on the government, I take "personal responsibility" for my life, I pay a higher percentage in income taxes than you do and you really piss me off.

This was first reported in Mother Jones here: http://www.motherjones.com/The excerpts above are from the NBC transcript of the entire discussion here: http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/18/13943563-full-video-and-transcript-of-leaked-romney-fundraiser-remarks?lite