Friday, September 28, 2012

China.


The CCP has expelled Bo Xilai. He now faces criminal prosecution for...whatever the party decides to charge him with; A Chinese forensics expert says the party has not proven that Neil Heywood's death was caused by cyanide poisoning; Wang Lijun was given 15 years for the coverup;  Forty workers were injured in rioting at an electronics factory in Shanxi Province; Chinese are not happier today than before Deng Xiaoping started the longest economic expansion in the history of mankind; President-in-waiting Xi Jinping disappeared for a few days...

A couple of nights ago after getting home late from the office and playing with my daughter for awhile I did what I always do before going to bed, check the news on my phone. The lead article in the New York Times was "China's Politics Hinder Effort to Shore Up Economy."  It was bad. The CCP leadership is almost paralyzed with fear. The Bo affair--whatever that is--has somehow prevented the party from doing just about anything: they can't make decisions to "shore up the economy" until the leadership succession is settled; they can't do that until they hold the 18th Party Congress, they can't do that until the leadership succession is settled; they can't do that, somehow, because of fallout from the Bo affair. Rinse, repeat.

The article made me feel bad; I went to sleep worried. I don't know why. Somehow, China is in my soul.