Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Lost in Translation.

Pope Describes Europe as 'Elderly and Haggard'-Wall Street Journal.

Pope Urges 'Aged and Weary' Europe to Accept Migrants and Reject Hunger.-Time.

I have written previously under that title and on far worse examples of the hazards of translations but for Godssake, this is from Italian (I assume) to English, not from the ancient Greek, not from Chinese. And these are two major media outlets. And, this is the Pope!

Yes, the translations are similar but "haggard" especially is much worse than "weary." In addition, in English "haggard" usually is used with reference to someone's appearance, "My you look haggard this morning," not a bodily condition, "I'm weary." How many times have you said to yourself, "I'm haggard?" None.

C'mon folks, you can do better than that. Get the damn thing right. Jesus Christ. Sorry, Pope.