Tuesday, March 20, 2018

New Spring Football League in 2019, CBS to Televise


https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/spring-league-alliance-of-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

Wow, hadn't heard a peep about such a thing. I guess since baseball season has been canceled there's an opening. I loved the USFL, which was also a spring league. I watched more USFL games than I did NFL I do not like the NFL.

Now, what this new thing is I'm not entirely sure. I saw a McPaper lede that it's to be "complementary" to the NFL. I don't know what that means. "Allied" with the NFL? Is that why it's called "Alliance"?  I don't know. 

-Eight team league...ten games.

-"Unprecedented fan participation in player and team success": don't know what that could mean. 

-"Elimination of kickoffs and onside kicks; Shorter play clock and fewer commercial breaks; Strict head safety protocols"...That's five good boxes checked in its favor.

-"Single entity structure": that's the Major League Soccer model. That is a bad box to check.

-On fan participation: "...a dynamic alliance between fans, players and the game. Fans will be able to stream Alliance matchups live via the free Alliance app, in a first for professional football while also accessing integrated fantasy options with real rewards -- for themselves and the players they are cheering on." That's the "unprecedented fan participation"? That's fine. I was afraid fans were going to have some say on who plays and what plays to run--some other football start up had that box checked. That was so bush.

-"...50-player rosters, built primarily through regionally based allocation in the fall. Players will be available in markets near where they played in the NFL or college:" Another start up did that. That is bush.

-For players: "Innovative bonus structures based on wins, statistical milestones and fan engagement" Pay for partying with fans? Bush.

Yada, yada, whatever. It will beat baseball.