Thursday, June 29, 2023

I Will Wait, Mumford & Sons (2012)

I want to profile this unusual song again. It has not received the attention that it should. The structure recalls classical influence, the William Tell Overture comes to mind. The dramatic tempo and intensity changes build up tension, tease release, elevate again and resolve in a crashing crescendo that has the audience hopping in a frisson of anticipation as the song builds. That in itself is unusual for a popular song but this piece starts at a high tempo, then recedes when the vocals start, builds, falls back, and then explodes. There are horns, keyboard, different stringed instruments--the banjo and guitars, including a bass guitar--unusual--but no drum play.

There is clear religious reference in the lyrics.

And I'll kneel downWait for nowI'll kneel downKnow my ground
 
The singing is hushed in places, plaintive, a wail mirrored in the instrumentation, reverential, devotional. Most of the tone of the song can be described not inaccurately as "hymnal." The instrumentation hums as a church organ, the vocals hum like in a Negro spiritual.
 
Raise my handsPaint my spirit goldAnd bow my headKeep my heart slow

When the boys harmonize the feel is of a choir. Their faces and bodies harmonize with the abrupt changes in volume and intensity:

It is an intense love song of course and the rhythms are the rhythms of love-making.

It is a hymn sung in the Church of Joy--sex, fun, testosterone-fueled joy.





I Will Wait, live at Red Rocks Colorado.