Friday, August 17, 2012

Russia.

The people of Russia are more numerous among readers of Public Occurrences than those of all other countries save the U.S., the U.K. and China.

The women of the Pussy Riot band have been sentenced to two years in jail. To this American blogger that sentence must not stand and pressure from foreigners, especially foreign government officials, may help.

Whether this sentence stands is going to be up to the Russian people, ultimately. Do they want the sentence to stand?  If so, it will. If they do not want the sentence to stand, as I hope they don't, are there enough of them willing to prevent it, by violence if necessary? If so, the sentence will not stand.

I do not know the Russian people, I do not know their "soul," I don't know a single Russian person. I hope they're not Chinese about this.