Sunday, April 07, 2013

"Broadcasters Worried About Zero TV Homes."-A.P.

I personally know of no other human being who doesn't own a television. When people find out you can see the reaction on their faces before they say anything. Perplexity, they have never heard of it before, you can see their brains trying to comprehend the unknown. It happened most recently with my dentist. She stopped drilling, looked at me and then laughed. Eleven years it's been for me.  I truly am not in your face about it. It's not a crusade with me, it just comes up in normal conversation. Someone will mention a TV show they like. Sometimes I lie, "Yeah I saw that," but that, like all lies is dangerous if the conversation continues. "What's your favorite show?" and I'm outed. Friggin' DONE, man.

So this headline "spoke" to me and was as surprising to me as to most everyone else. Five million households are TV-less today, up from two million in 2007. My God that's alot. These are not poor people, TV's are cheap. These are people who have made a conscious choice. I feel less weird--I'm probably not--but I feel less Ted Kaczynski.
I think that's a good thing. I look like Ted Kaczynski, though. Ah, jeesh.